January 29, 2013

The Kite RunnerThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I didn't write the review of this book right away, since it actually left me somewhat confused. I was not sure about what to say. But now I believe I have finally formed my opinion concerning it.

Okay, neither does the book have the makings of becoming a classic nor is it to the level of airport novels. It is somewhat in the middle of somewhere. It is therefore exactly like my emotions after reading the book. When you have to take a critical decision and your good wit is required in it would you be so audacious in saying you are not sure?

This is what I say when my opinion is sought regarding 'the kite runner.'Truth be told, I do not like the progression of the protagonist Amir's character. From the very beginning of the book, you are dealing with the paranoia of Amir. In the way he speaks, in the way he treats his 'friend' Hassan and all the things he does for getting his father's attention. On top of all that, I have always felt in some way or the other Amir's actions were being justified. Whereas, Hassan was only described as a pure minded individual and he is very honest and loyal to his master. Notwithstanding, the book never talks about a solution to his plight and lets the offender Amir go free. Worse, time and time again in the book whenever Hassan is in picture his race is being talked about.

The only thing I sort of appreciate about the book is, it is not entirely predictable. You do have some 'omg' moments and it helps especially with your getting extremely annoyed with the racism aspect of the book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment